There are several living history museums in Maryland, including living history farms and living history manufacturing towns.
- Furnace Town Living Heritage Museum in Snow Hill, Worcester. (In the Eastern Shore region of Maryland.) Experience a 1830s village where life centres around the local iron manufacturing industry.
- Steppingstone Museum in Havre de Grace, Harford. (In Central Maryland.) This museum preserves and demonstrates rural arts and crafts from the 1880-1920 period.
- Button Farm Living History Center in Germantown, Montgomery. (In the capital region of Maryland). This is a living history museum focused in life on a 19th-century slave plantation.
- Hancock´s Resolution in Pasadena, Anne Arundel. (In Central Maryland.) This 26-acre farmstead goes back to 1785.
- Historic St. Mary´s City in St. Mary´s City, Sat. Mary´s. (In Southern Maryland.) This is a 17th-century working colonial farm with a reconstructed 1676 State House.
- Jerusalem Mill Village in Jerusalem, Harford. (In Central Maryland.) Experience 18th- through early-20th-century life in a Quaker village.
- National Colonial Farm at Piscataway Park in Accokeek, Prince George´s. (In the capital region of Maryland.) This is a tobacco planting farm from the 1770s.
- Woodlawn Manor Museum in Sandy Spring, Montgomery. (In the capital region of Maryland.) This is a brick manor house from the 1700s.
Furnace Town Living Heritage Museum
Coordinates: 38° 12′ 17″ N, 75° 28′ 14″ W
Address: 3816 Old Furnace Town, Snow Hill, Maryland
The Furnace Town Heritage Museum is a living history outdoor museum located near Snow Hill, depicting a 19th-century community centred around the Nassawango Iron Furnace – a brick blast furnace from the early 1800s which was used to smelt bog iron ore to make pig iron.
Examples of historic buildings that have been moved to the site are a store, a church and several residental buildings. One of the residental buildings are used as an information center for the museum.
The R. Frank Jones Museum is housed in a building from 1869 which was moved to the site in 1977. The museum contains local history exhibits, including exhibits explaining the making of pig iron using traditional methods.
The Steppingstone Museum at the Susquehanna State Park
Located on the Susquehanna River, northwest of Havre de Grace, the Steppingstone Museum preserves and interprets the rural heritage of Harford County.
The core-collection for the museum is the 7,000+ tools and artifacts collected by J. Edmund Bull. This collection used to be on display in his home, but in 1979 the collection was moved to the former Gilman Paul property – the current Steppingstone Musem. At the Gilman Paul property, the collection is housed within the 18th-century farm that is now the Susquehanna State Park. Since the move, the museum has expanded to feature demonstration of trades and crafts that were common and important in rural Maryland in the 1800s, such as stone cutting, broom making, blacksmithing, and masonry.
Hancock’s Resolution historic house museum
Coordinates: 39°8′6″N 76°26′49″W
Address: 2795 Bayside Beach Road, Pasadena, Maryland,
Hancock´s Resolution is a farmhouse sitting on 15 acres of land in Pasadena, Maryland. The property underwent a major restoration in 2000 and is open to the public as a historic house museum.
The stone farmhouse is gambrel-roofed, with shed-roofed dormers and interior end chimneys. The original stone section was built as the main house for Stephen Hancock, Jr. in 1785. Back then, it was sitting on a 410-acre parcel of land. The house was extended in 1855 and then again around the year 1900.
In addition to the farmhouse, several other buildings have survived on the farm, including a one-storey gable-roofed stoen dairy. There is also the Hancock family graveyard on the property.
Hancock´s Resolution stayed with the Hancock family until the 1960s when the siblings Mary and Henry Hancock willed the property to Anne Arunde County to be preserved.
Hancock´s Resolution has been included in the U.S. National Registry of Historic Places since 1975.
Historic St. Mary´s City
St. Mary was Maryland’s first European settlement and capital, and is now a large, state-run historic area which includes a reconstruction of the original colonial settlement, a living history area, and a museum complex. Roughly half of the area is used by St. Mary´s College of Maryland.
For information about Historic St. Mary´s City, visit our separate article.